Your wedding day will be one of the most important days of your life. From “will you?” to “I do,” you will be making decisions that will shape how your big day will turn out. You might find yourself becoming overwhelmed. Scratch that; you WILL be overwhelmed. However, one decision that truly should be an enjoyable one to make is your decision on wedding entertainment. When you feel anxious, take a breath and start looking at your entertainment options. Often times when planning, tasks get divided in the name of efficiency. In this case, it can be more fun to do this one together! Choosing entertainment can be one of the more pleasant things to do with your soon-to-be-spouse. As you attend live showcases, or just watch videos online together, you will find yourselves coming together. When it comes to choosing between a live band or a DJ, you might find that a DJ better fits your needs. But what are some things that you should look for to ensure that your wedding DJ will create an experience that is enjoyable for all of your guests? DJ Gaetano, a full-service professional entertainer in the TriCounty area, gave us a few tips on what to look for when hiring a DJ for your wedding day.
- Experience: A DJ should have at least 5 years of verifiable wedding experience. Look for this within reviews, personality, and presentation.
- Reviews: It can’t be said enough. Reviews are your best friend when it comes to booking any type of entertainment. Take your time. Read plenty. Then call, and make an appointment to meet with your DJ.
- Personal Meeting: Always try to set up a meeting with your DJ to make sure your personalities match. This will give you time to figure out if they are a good fit for the job and if their style aligns with what you are looking for.
- Emcee Duties: Are you just looking for a DJ, or are you looking for someone to emcee the night as well? Talk to your DJ, and read reviews to find out what their style is. Some DJ’s take on a larger role as the emcee, trying to motivate the crowd. Others, like Gaetano, will keep the focus on the Bride and Groom. It is your day. Decide where you want the focus!
- Professionalism: A truly professional DJ will arrive a minimum of 2 hours in advance to set up, with everything complete by the time the first guest arrives. They should be wearing either a tux, three-piece suit, or whatever you request of them.
- Distinguishing Pieces: Your DJ should have liability insurance, back-up gear, and other media options. They should be more polished on the mic, have mixing skills, and use professional grade equipment. Their set up should be neat, shophisticated, and blend in with the room. It should not be a messy eyesore with wires everywhere.
- Song-Selection: Every DJ should allow you to give them a list of Do’s and Don’ts. When making up this list, try to keep it on the smaller side. Instead, rely on your conversation with the DJ, letting them know what your musical interests are. From there, a good DJ should be able to use their experience to read the crowd.
- Follow-Up: After you’ve made your song list, and met with your DJ, a true professional will call you and follow up. Look for these calls approximately one month before-hand, and again about one week before-hand.
Remember, picking a DJ shouldn’t be another stressor added to your long list of to-do’s. When you start to feel overwhelmed, put everything on hold and start searching for your entertainment instead. Whether you make your own concert out of videos you find online, or you find a live show to attend, you will find yourself relaxing and enjoying each other’s company during the process. DJ Gaetano has been DJing professionally for 23 years. In that time, he has entertained over 1200 weddings and high school proms, doing about 25-30 weddings during the peak seasons per year. We are proud to work with such a well-established professional. To find more information about DJ Gaetano and other BVTLive! DJs, call us at (610) 358-9010 or fill out our contact form.